Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Don't wrap your pipes!

Ok, first off, this is just my opinion but damn it I'm going to voice my beliefs. Don't wrap your pipes, people! Sheesh. I don't get why people wrap their whole pipe from header to muffler. As I understand it, way back when, builders/riders wrapped their pipes because they didn't want to burn their legs while riding. That I understand. So, if you have high pipes or have them located in an area that your leg rubs/rests against while riding then you either want to wear asbestos pants (heh) or wrap your pipes so that you don't burn your leg(s). If you wrap the whole set-up just to have it look "cool" then you're just making your bike look stupid.

I think the same thing can be said about people who put passanger pillions on their bikes when their rear fender can't support the weight of a passanger or if they did have a passanger was on the bike they'd fall off in a heartbeat. Further, what's the deal with sissybars if they're too short to do anything or you don't have a place for your passanger to sit?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I rail about doing things to look "cool" and then state that doing such things isn't "cool". Fuck it. I realize that such statements are contradictory. However the meat of the argument is that bikes shouldn't have a bunch of crap on them that they don't need. Just because a bunch of bikers in the 60s and 70s did things a certain way that doesn't mean that everyone has to do that or that it's a good idea. Just because it's "old school" doesn't mean it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment